Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Modular Terraformation Tiles


Hell Dorado has some very interesting terraformation rules for setting of the terrain before the game begins in earnest. You divide the 30" x 30" table into nine 10" squares and bid on which squares you wish to terraform. The player with the highest bid for a given 10" square gets to spend terrain points on some terrain feature (a well, rain of frogs, crevasse, lava, etc.).

Game maniacs were selling 1' x 1' EPS boards (actually it was 30 cm x 30 cm) that were 70 mm thick. So I ordered 9 of them. A foot is close enough to 10" in my book (plus, that extra length helps my Westerns against Marek's Lost, hehehe). I didn't realize how thick 70 mm was until I saw them, however.

So now I've been sawing the boards in half, which will eventually give me 18 double-sided modular playing boards. I'm making one set a typical desert/underground setting with one side blank and the other featuring a river. The other set is going to be more hellish, with a black basalt on one side and a river of lava on the other.

To make the modular rivers work, I marked off 2 cm in the middle of the sides the river would flow to. Then I drew the river and cut it out with a knife.

It's taking a long time, but I hope to have one set read by the time the rule book is released.

Here are pics of the work in progress.







No comments: